Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Union Bears

  1. #21
    Inactive Member PV2WISE2VCU's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 11th, 2011
    Location
    Wise, Virginia
    Posts
    165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    So many folks on here ragging their coaching staff out,but at some point folks have to remember that this is a first-year unit,and gelling doesn't have a timetable. Truth be told there's not that plethora of talent there that the folks from Appy and BSG think is there (everybody OUTSIDE of BSG/APPY will agree with me). I see the same level of talent there as the rest of the league and region for that matter.Union was hyped up so much that folks started believing the hype before/without hitting the gridiron. In every situation there's always going to be convienant scapegoats,and I am sure that Travis Turner understands that,but to all you armchair coaches out there that think you can do better? By all means go to school,get your degree and apply when it opens after you all run him off. Trust me we folk at Central have learned much this season. Jason Mullins was dead and buried after the Castlewood debacle,and headhunters were running rampant. Funny what four wins later can do (and I have to man up and admit I was very critical of not Mullins but Hicks). Sometimes ESPECIALLY with a first-year unit patience is needed (while in short supply at UHS right now). It is not like Union is losing to pitiful teams either guys (even the Central bunch folks were so down on have really stepped it up). There are no easy nights in the LPD,and toss in folks like Richlands and it's not going to be a bed of roses. Just because you combine two storied programs which used to be great but have had decline in talent over last decade,is no guarantee for instant success (Central being polar opposite to that statement obviously-again new era,new day). Folks from PV/Appy have gotten spoiled because of the success that used to be years ago. Be patient and let the staff get it together. Rome was not built in a day. If you can't be patient,after you run them off then do it yourself and spare the rest of us the incessant bitching and whining. Just some thoughts from someone outside of that program.
    I've laid low on this subject but, I'll say this and be done. Powell Valley would have won more games, without question. In fact, Powell Valley won more games last year with less talent and a harder schedule. The fact that Union has only won three games is a complete and total embarrassment and it's a reflection on the players, coaches, and administration. As for the mumbo jumbo about gelling, Central ain't having a hard time are they? It's also not a "convenient scapegoat" it is what it is. If Central doesn't win state in baseball, will the coaching staff be a "convenient scapegoat'? I hardly doubt it; furthermore, this season has been a total disaster and a disgrace to the football traditions of Appalachia and Powell Valley High School and anybody that has ever been associated with Appalachia, Powell Valley, or Union will tell you that privately.

    In saying all that, it's not time to throw in the towel. It is year one of a new regime, and it's not just coaches, a new administration is in place as well. Yes, this year is a disaster, not saying as much leaves you complacent without the ability to improve; however, some folks need to back off the ledge. It's not the end of the world, they have the talent to beat John. I. Burton, Thomas Walker, and win a playoff game. Will they? I do not know but, I do know constant public berating of Travis Turner, Roger Austin, Michael Morris, Tim Thomas, Kori Bostic, Jim Huff, Jake Huff, Tyler Barker, Evan Orr, Nathan Baker, etc is not going to somehow turn this team into '96 Appalachia.

    Call me in three years if this bunch is still posting 3-7/4-6 seasons, until then calm down, support the team, and hope for the best. If it is not better by that point, I will join in with you and say a massive overhaul is needed.
    [img]http://gifsoup.com/view2/3012246/uva-wisepuntreturntd-o.gif[/img]

  2. #22
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Anyone think maybe Turner was handcuffed by those above him from the start of this season?
    Administration? Yep. He got stuck with staff that he didn't want/need. You just can't have two or three head coaches on a team. And that's what you've got with Turner and Austin. That would have been like the county putting Palmer under Hamilton at Eastside. Or Robbins under anyone at any time.

    Too many cooks spoil the broth. The Union team I saw on film against Central was not the same Union team that we (Eastside) faced at Virginia High in August. .
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Poseidon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2011
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    This topic is alot of bs. Traditon this and talent that. Come on, really! Sounds like you Union fans have no patience at all. I don't care how many titles Pv or Appy had coming in to form Union High. Them titles don't mean diddly now and if I'm not mistaken the last title football wise was in 1998 (PV) correct me if I am wrong. You all act like this school has been around forever and that they won all them championship. Wake up! Just because they go to a school/building that was "Powell Valley" doesn't mean they are still "Powell Valley". Neither Pv or Appy has been that talented the past 10yrs as some of the other teams in the area have been. Yes, they may have had a few good athletes come through but nothing compared to what you all got spoiled with in the 80s and 90s. Also Travis is no Robbins nor his dad Tom. You got to give the guy a chance to see what he can do. I'm not saying give him 5yrs or whatever but you got to give more then just half a season before you can start calling for his head.

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Trenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2011
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    So you are telling me Poseidon being from either Pound or Kelly you are not looking forward to baseball for boys sports? You are not thinking about how well you have done in the past as both kelly and or Pound and thinking to the future, Yeah okay, if you aren't thinking like that then you must not be one of the 30 guys who goes and watches Highschool baseball at any team. I don't know how baseball teams make money i've been to games at every school in the county on several occasions and unless they charge 40 bucks to get in baseball is the back doorcrew of the sports world, which is why Kelly must always have been good at it. They like it in the back door from how Poseidon talks stick in the mud he keep saying?

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Poseidon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2011
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Do I think we have a shot in baseball, sure. We have the talent and good coaching so we'll be alright! The past is the past. The titles doesn't say Central High on them as I know. This a new chapter for a new school and new team. You can't live in the past you can only learn from it. Now to answer you question I do like baseball always have. I even played alittle back in high school. But I guess you wouldn't understand that since you always got down and dirty in the TRENCH...MAN!

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Trenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2011
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Considering you are either from Pound or Wise, I woudln't expcet you to know where the Trenches are so you get a pass.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Poseidon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2011
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Quote Originally Posted by Trenchman View Post
    Considering you are either from Pound or Wise, I woudln't expcet you to know where the Trenches are so you get a pass.
    I don't think I want to know where the trenches are.

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Trenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2011
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Generally Men play there, so I wouldn't expect you to want to. No worries.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Poseidon1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2011
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    Quote Originally Posted by Trenchman View Post
    Generally Men play there, so I wouldn't expect you to want to. No worries.
    Sounds like a fairy wonderland.

  10. #30
    Inactive Member Trenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2011
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Union Bears

    you are the only fairy on here so I guess i'll take your word on it

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •